Sanctity of Life Sunday
Sanctity of Life Sunday
I make no apology for deliberately being a Pro-Life pastor. Our Church uses this Sunday to launch our annual baby bottle drive for the Hope Pregnancy Center/Options for Women in Ocean City, NJ.
I’d love to recommend some good resources to reflect on the Sanctity of Life, here are some sources I would like to commend to you.
- R.C. Sproul answers Why Churches should observe Sanctity of Life Sunday
- John Piper Resources:
- Abort73: powerful and helpful website
- Albert Mohler article, “Abortion is as American as Apple Pie.”
- 180 The Movie. If you haven’t seen, you simply must! Visit 180movie.com
- Here’s a wonderful article by Randy Alcorn on the Biblical perspectives on an unborn child.
- I used Tim Tebow’s story, as an illustration, in last year’s message. Here’s an interview with Bob & Pam following last year’s Super Bowl ad
- Here’s a followup article by Randy Alcorn
- Here’s a really cool visualization from conception to birth.
I love the text in this stanza of Immortal Invisible, it was a joy to affirm it as a congregation this morning.
To all, life Thou givest,
to both great and small;
In all life Thou livest,
the true life of all;
We blossom and flourish
as leaves on the tree,
And wither and perish–
but naught changeth Thee.
Here are some good resources on the issue of abortion that I would commend to you.
Top Recommendation – Randy Alcorn’s book has become a classic and go-to book in this area.
Alcorn, Randy. Pro-Life Answers to Pro-Choice Arguments Expanded & Updated. Expanded. Multnomah Books, 2000
———. Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers. Multnomah Books, 2004. While this book is out-of-print it is still available at Eternal Perspective Ministries. You can also get a free pdf of the entire book here.
Feinberg, John S., and Paul D. Feinberg.Ethics for a Brave New World, Second Edition. 2nd ed. Crossway Books, 2010.
Klusendorf, Scott. The Case for Life: Equipping Christians to Engage the Culture. Crossway Books, 2009.
Masse, Sydna. Her Choice to Heal: Finding Spiritual and Emotional Peace After Abortion. New. David C. Cook, 2009.
McCorvey, Norma, and Gary Thomas. Won by Love: Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe V. Wade, Speaks Out for the Unborn As She Shares Her New Conviction for Life. Thomas Nelson Inc, 1998. Jamie and I read this book together several years ago, it is a very transparent and eye-opening book of Norma’s experience as being “Jane Roe.” It chronicles her conversion and introduces her Roe no More Ministry.
Powlison, David. Healing after Abortion. 1st ed. New Growth Press, 2008